Lisbon offers many cultural and historical places as well as gorgeous art and architecture. While some visit Lisbon by using public transportation, some resort to Lisbon car hire. If you’d like to choose the second option, you can find that there are some firms that provide car rentals. You can rent a car from one of them, and enjoy your travel without any limitations.
Also, these companies provide a diversity of vehicles including vans and motorhomes. Let’s now take a look at the process of car hire Lisbon, and a list of rental car companies and Lisbon car rental locations.
Is a Car Rental in Lisbon Necessary?
If you plan to stay in Portugal for around one week, renting a car may make your travel easier. Especially, if you’d like to travel between, say, Lisbon to Porto or Lisbon to Algarve, hiring a car can be more practical.
Best Car Rental in Lisbon: Where To Find Rental Car
Luckily, you can find rental car companies rental Lisbon in several parts of the city. Also, you have the option of choosing between international and local car rental companies. So, besides the airport and train stations, it’s possible to find car rental offices in other parts of the city as well.
The onsite car rental companies at the airport include Europcar, Sixt, Hertz, Klass Wagen, BeRent, and several others. What’s more, most of them provide service on weekends and public holidays as well.
Lisbon City Center
As noted, you can find pick-up locations in the city center as well. Companies like Avis, Sixt, Hertz, Guerin, and Europcar provide this service. There may be differences in prices depending on the company though.
You can find open pick-up locations in the city center on holidays and weekends as well. Details about some of these locations are below:
- Rua Andrade Corvo, 31. Available between 9 a.m. and 7 p.m.
- Av. Liberdade, 185 (Hotel Tivoli). Available between 9 a.m. and 7 p.m.
- Av. António Augusto de Aguiar, 24 C/D. Open for 24 hours.
- Rua Rodrigues Sampaio, 142/150. On Saturdays, available only between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m.
- Rua Rodrigo da Fonseca, 156. Available between 9 a.m. – 1 p.m. and 3 p.m. – 7 p.m.
- Praça Martim Moniz, 2b (Hotel Mundial). Available between 9 a.m. – 1 p.m. and between 3 p.m. – 7 p.m.
- Av. Praia da Vitória, 12C. Available between 8 a.m. and 7 p.m.
- Rua Castilho, 72 A/B/C. Available between 9 a.m. – 1 p.m. and between 3 p.m. – 7 p.m.
- Av. Álvares Cabral, 45 B. Available between 9 a.m. – 1 p.m. and 2 p.m. – 6 p.m.
How To Rent A Car in Lisbon
You can make a car rental in Lisbon if you have a driving license from the EU. If not, you need an international driver’s license to be able to hire a car. Also, you must be at least 23 years old to be able to hire a car in Lisbon. You can book a rental car online before you arrive in Lisbon as well. Sometimes you can find better car rental deals online.
Popular Car Rental Companies in Lisbon
Some of the most popular car rental companies in Lisbon are listed below.
Europcar has offered a premium pick-up service as a car rental company. It offers the opportunity to pick up your car without waiting in queues. For this, you pre-register for your car rental online by providing all necessary documents and information. So, when you arrive at the pick-up point, you enter a little information about yourself and pay the deposit, and it’s done.
In Lisbon city center, Europcar Lisbon provides six offices for car rental. Find the locations of these offices below:
- Downtown city center office: R. Rodrigues Sampaio 142/150. Open from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Castilho office: R. Castilho 201 A. Open from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Next to the Parque metro station: Av. Antonio Augusto de Aguiar 24 C D.
- Alameda office: Parque Empark, 1000-125. Open between 9 a.m. – 1 p.m. and 2 p.m. – 6 p.m. It’s closed on weekends.
Sixt is another alternative to get the best car rental Lisbon with its expertise in this business. Like Europcar, Sixt also provides several pick-up points besides the airport. What’s more, you can pick up your car from one location and leave it in another when your contract ends. You can even return your car to another city in Portugal. If that’s your plan, you’ll need to make a request for this beforehand.
Find Sixt’s three pick-up stations in downtown Lisbon below:
- Lisbon City Office: Rua Andrade Corvo 31 Lisbon, Portugal 1050-008. From Monday to Sunday, open from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Another Lisbon City Office: Av.da Liberdade 185, Lisbon, Portugal 1269-050. From Monday to Sunday, open from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Lisbon North Office: Av. Severiano Falcao Lote 2, Prior Velho, Portugal 2685-378. From Monday to Sunday, open from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Enterprise offers cheap car rental Lisbon at affordable prices. It’s also part of the international car hiring group Enterprise Holdings. It has three offices in Lisbon one being at the airport and two being in the city center. Like Sixt, Enterprise also offers you the convenience of a one-way rental. So, you can return your car to a different office in the city or in another city.
The list of the Enterprise offices is below:
- Enterprise at Lisbon Portela Airport, Desk in Terminal: Alameda das Comunidades Portuguesas, Lisbon, Portugal 1700-111
- Enterprise Lisbon Downtown Office: Av. Severiano Falcao, N. 3, Lisbon, Portugal 1700-111. From Monday to Saturday, open from 8 a.m. until 9 p.m. Closed on Sunday.
- Another Enterprise Lisbon Downtown Office: Av Alvares Cabral n. 45 B, Lisbon, Portugal 1700-111. Between Monday and Friday, open from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. On Saturday, open from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. and from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m. Closed on Sunday.
This is also part of Enterprise Holdings, and this is why it’s known in other countries as well. Alamo has one pick-up location at the Lisbon Airport. Its desk rental car Lisbon airport is located in the arrivals hall. The address is Alameda das Comunidades Portuguesas, Lisbon, Portugal 1700-111. From Monday to Sunday, it’s open between 9 a.m. and 8 p.m.
As a company established in Chicago, Hertz has now become an international company with offices in Europe and South America as well. It offers the best car rental in Lisbon as well. Hertz has three offices in Lisbon, one located in the airport:
- Airport office: Alameda das Comunidades Portuguesas 1700-007 Lisbon
- Lisbon (City): Rua Castilho, 72 A/B/C 1250-068 Lisbon
- Prior Velho: Av. Severiano Falcão, 7-7A – Hertz Building 2689-522 Prior Velho.
Let’s look at the answers to some of the frequently asked questions about car rental in Lisbon.
Can I get an automatic car when I rent a car in Lisbon?
One of the few things to know before you make a cheap car hire Lisbon is the issue of manual and automatic transmissions. Rental companies usually give you a manual drive car if you don’t demand otherwise. If you want to hire an automatic car, you need to book your car beforehand. Also, such cars will cost a bit more than manual ones.
How much do I need to pay for rental cars on average in Lisbon?
On average, you’ll pay around $33-35 daily for a rental car. Note that prices are subject to change depending on rental companies.
What is the most popular car for rental in Lisbon?
Volkswagen Polo and other similar cars are popular cars for Lisbon car hire.
What is the speed limit while driving in Lisbon?
On the highway, the speed limit is 120/km or 75 mph. In the city, the limit is 90/km or 55 mph on main roads.