Bearing the namesake of Britain’s Edward VII, who came to the city in 1903 to cement the Anglo-Portuguese relationship for good, this park is the largest in central Lisbon. With its delicately clipped box hedging that is flanked by paths made from mosaic texture, it stretches uphill from Marquês de Pombal Square to a belvedere at the top which displays a panoramic scenery.
History & Structure
Filling a surface of 26 hectares, the Edward, or Eduardo, VII Park is the largest public park in Lisbon. The venue neighbors on Marques de Pombal Square and, southwards, on Avenida da Liberdade. The park’s original name was “Liberty Park”, but from 1903 and onwards, after the English king Edward VII visited the country in order to strengthen the diplomatic relations between the two countries, and establish a future alliance, the park is named after him. The garden is fairly elevated from the ground, which makes the park a beautiful point to look upon the city of Lisbon – at least, parts of it. In addition to that, as it spread over a large quantity of land, it is perfectly suited to host public events and gatherings like fairs, concerts, exhibitions, or forums. Its central location give the place an incessant vibe.
The Attractions In The Park
Visitors can delight in exploring the rich vegetal and artistic patrimony of the park (statues are scattered in sundry areas of the venue), as well as they can search out the facilities for sports and leisure with the goal of finding out the pastime which suits best their tastes. It can be a good meeting point as well.
The big attractions within the park are the two estufas, or hothouses, with the more exotic & tropical plants, ponds, endless varieties of palms and cacti. On the other hand, the so-called “estufa fria” (the cold greenhouse) where species from cold climates are grown is also present. Keep in mind that this greenhouse can be visited for free by Lisbon Card holders. Such contrasting floras are displayed side by side to introduce different beauties from nature. The greenhouses were built some point in the 1930s
Just across the estufas which are situated on the eastern side of the park, sits a pavillion with famous decorative Portuguese tiles that is dedicated to Carlos Lopes, the famous Portuguese athlete who won the marathon at the 1984 Los Angeles Olympic Games. The structure doubles the available place as a venue for occasional concerts, festivities, and cultural events.
You can take metro to Parque, or Marquês de Pombal Station. The estufas are open every day from 9AM to 5.30PM.